Friday, November 20, 2009

but i like it because it is bitter...

I was going through my shared items in Google reader and I came across this post from Overheard In New York.  I think we can all relate.  Happy Friday!

Elderly woman to elderly man, as a young girl narrowly escapes getting hit by a car: Oh my god, what is it with these crazy people!? I hate this city more and more each day.
Elderly man: Well then, why do you live here?
Elderly woman: Because I love it.

--83rd & Broadway

Overheard by: Dee Dee


(In a really weird, non-happy Friday! kind of way, this reminds me of Stephen Crane's poem In the Desert)
In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said: "Is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter - bitter," he answered;
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

1 comment:

  1. Awww that Overheard is perfect!! And I love how you describe the poem as "non-happy Friday!" :)

    ReplyDelete